Mutual usage of Leipzig University Library and HMT Library by music students
The two institutes of musicology at Leipzig University and the HMT University of Music and Theatre make up the Centre for Musicology. Students registered at either institute may attend courses held at the other, and can also make full use of both libraries. Below, we set out the main things you need to know.
1. To enjoy equal access to all library services, students of one university must also be enrolled at the other university as a guest student. This second enrolment is free of charge:
- Guide for students from Leipzig University to enrolling at HMT (PDF, German only)
- Guide for HMT students to enrolling at Leipzig University (PDF, German only)
2. You will receive a login and an email address for both universities. Service emails (e.g. reminders when borrowed items are overdue) will be sent to these addresses. Please check your library emails regularly – you may want to integrate them into your standard email program. Email forwarding can also be set up at Leipzig University if required.
3. You can use mobile devices to log on to the eduroam roaming service at both universities (see the instructions here).
4. You can obtain a UniCard from Leipzig University for a fee of €10; a free HMT Library card can be obtained when you join the HMT Library. Both library cards can be used at both libraries, although you may prefer to use just one library card for both.
5. Even if you only use one library card, you will still have two separate library accounts with different logins. You will require your library number and your password to log in. Your default password is your date of birth in the format DDMMYYYY or DDMMYY.
7. Both libraries offer facilities for scanning (free of charge) and photocopying (for a fee). Please use your photocopying account on the UniCard for the photocopiers in the University Library. A coin-operated photocopier is available in the HMT Library.
Staff in both libraries will be pleased to help you with any queries regarding mutual library use, so don’t be afraid to ask!
|Leipzig University Library
|Grassistrasse 8, 2nd floor
(Opening hours and other information)
Library of Musicology:
Neumarkt 9–19 (Städtisches Kaufhaus), Aufgang (Staircase) D, 3rd floor
|Catalogue searches in both libraries (and other libraries in Leipzig): https://lerxe.net/
Sheet music: 3 months, 1 renewal*
|All media: 30 days, 6 renewals (unless reserved)
|Using electronic media internally (on a library computer or your own device)
|Only content licensed by HMT
|Only content licensed by Leipzig University Library
|Using electronic media externally
|External access via Shibboleth using your HMT login (access)
|External access via the VPN client AnyConnect using your university login (instructions)
|Other internal services
E-piano (Musicology Library)
Group study rooms
Help for parents with children
Information on accessibility